POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Mozilla and these newsgroups : Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:06:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups
From: Gergely Vandor
Date: 12 Apr 2003 21:10:02
Message: <web.3e98b7ecb46b77c5b78e044d0@news.povray.org>
Roz wrote:
>My original post in this thread was to see if I could duplicate the
>behavior described by Gergely as follows:
>
> > http://news.povray.org just throws me to the welcome/settings page
> > every time, clicking the button at the bottom just reloads that page.
>
>So naturally I went to http://news.povray.org in order to test it
>and I did end up seeing the same looping behavior. It doesn't say
>anywhere on there to try to go to a particular newsgroup first.

I've reinstalled Mozilla to see if I can reproduce the problem with a fresh
install, because it was working well last time. Now I have the problem
again. Silly me! :) But the fact that it worked well last time means there
_is_ a solution.

>A natural progression for a new visitor would be something like
>first going to http://www.povray.org, following the resources link
>and then following the POV-Ray Newsgroups link. At the top of that
>page it says :

I don't think it's unnatural to start from http://news.povray.org . I always
do that and I don't think that makes me a pervert. :)

So starting with http://news.povray.org is where I went wrong?

>Personally I don't see this as a big issue but you may end up
>with an occasional confused Mozilla user who is told about the
>web interface at http://news.povray.org and ends up getting stuck
>in a loop.

Well, it's a bug in my opinion, and at least it got me annoyed several times
with several different mozilla versions and linux installs. Now I'm using
1.3 FYI.

Thorsten: the default cookie security setting for Mozilla is 'Enable all
cookies', and there don't seem to be any other relevant preferences. It's
not a config problem or a user error.

Gergely